Sunday, August 1, 2010

German Chocolate Ice Cream

Coconut Ice Cream is about $5 for a pint.  Since this is the only ice cream I have found that has not made me sick, it can get quite expensive.  I found this recipe earlier, but the chocolate was too overwhelming for my taste. I kept searching though for a chocolate ice cream that would work and I found it!  The base has 3 ingredients.  I bought coconut milk and put it in the fridge to keep cold.  Did you know it will solidify in the fridge?  I didn't until I went to use it today.  It all worked out though.

Recipe makes a little over 2 cups of ice cream:

1 can coconut milk (lite coconut milk may not contain enough fat to create the ice cream texture)
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 c agave or sugar

Mix in a blender until smooth.  Prepare in your ice cream maker according to the manufacture instructions.  I let mine mix for 15 minutes and then added:

1 handful of chopped pecans
1 handful of coconut

Let mix for additional 5 minutes.  I then put the ice cream into 1 cup containers and freeze until ready to eat!

Total cost - $1.50!  (Plus...it is REALLY YUMMY!!!)